This week we will be doing something we have never done before: give a hemp paper workshop to one of the most successful brands of cosmetics and personal care products in the world, The Body Shop (TBS). If you read my previous posts, you know that here at the farm we are BIG fans of TBS, not only for their awesome hemp-based products line but as well for their commitment to the fair trade movement and fight against animal testing.
It's a huge honor to have been invited to provide this workshop, and so I will be traveling to Lisbon and Madrid to talk about the work we do here at the farm, about hemp (of course!) and to show the TBS team how they can make hemp paper. Sounds awesome, right?
If you are wondering how to make your own hemp paper, I suggest you check the video below. Andris, Fredis and I made this video a while ago, and even though the process we use now is quite different from what we show here, there are a few tips that will help you get started. On the other hand, you are more than welcome to visit our farm (we will be open from 2nd May 2020) and take part in our hemp paper workshop where we will be teaching you step-by-step how to make hemp paper.
This is a small and varied collection of some of the great projects happening around the world at the moment, to provide inspiration.
1. HER MANY VOICES FOUNDATION (US)
Alicia Fall is the founder of Her Many Voices Foundation (HMVF), an organization made to "ignite the Artivist (Artist/Activist) in us all, in order to move our passions to purpose, for the betterment of women, children, and our Mother Earth." Even though HMVF is based in the US, they work mainly in Haiti. Trough their "Hemp project" HMVF is using hemp to provide community education, enrich the soil for the next crop rotation, build safe, sanitary toilets, homes, and schools, provide nutrient-rich food such as seeds and flour, produce textile fibers for the production of paper, clothing, rope and provide valuable medicine. A truly inspiring project! If you feel connected, you can support HMVF work, and donate here!
2. HENRY'S HEMP HARVESTER (DE)
Andris, the kids and I meet Henry a few years ago at the HempToday center where we listening to Henry talk about his technology. And now, we are so happy to see this amazing machine in action (see the video for more info). The technology according to Henry is for family farms, specialty growers and cooperatives and "brings dependability and unique customer engagement to the critical process of putting specialized hemp harvesting and processing equipment to work for your operation."
3. FIRST CANNABIS WOMEN DOCUMENTARY (ES)
From Spain comes the idea of the 1st collective documentary of the #MujeresCannabicas around the world, which will be released in March 2020. The main objective of the documentary is so that "the feminine reality is respected by the entire cannabis community, making visible the important roles women play for the advancement of cannabis culture in every corner of the world".
4. THE HEMP PROJECT COLLECTIVE
The hemp project collective is a project made by an amazing group of people with the aim to educate the public about hemp. The project believes hemp is the "solution to many problems our world faces. We believe in learning from the past and in taking responsibility for the future".
If you know a great project you'd like to share, let me know on the comments!
Opening of the first hemp museum in Latvia
On 1st May 2019, we open - with the help of many sponsors and a successful crowdfunding campaign - the first hemp museum in Latvia where you can learn about the history of hemp in Latvia. More than 100 people came to our farm to visit the hemp museum.
Becoming part of the "We are Mary Jane" exhibition at The Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum in Barcelona
Such a big honor to be part of this exhibition that explores the role of women in the world of cannabis. We truly hope that the exhibition will be at our hemp museum next year. Fingers crossed!
This year with the help of more than 15 participants coming from all over the world, we insulate with hempcrete a wall of our home and also 3 dog houses that unfortunately, we haven't had the time yet to finish and deliver it to a local animal shelter as we intended. This might be our first resolution for 2020! The whole experience made us realize how important this course is - we had the idea that this would be the last one - and for that reason, we will make it again next year! You can already book your place (Get your early bird ticket for only 40€).
First hemp market in Latvia
Latvian hemp companies came together and showcase their products at the first hemp market in Latvia. This was also a great opportunity to get to know more about hemp and the hemp industry in Latvia by attending the several lectures available.
Hemp recipes part of a Latvian cuisine book
If you read my last post you already know that our hemp bars and hemp peanut butter recipes are part of the acclaimed book by Roberto Meloni called “Through Latvian counties with Roberto”. What an honor!
Best family farm in Latvia award by the Ministry of Agriculture
As you can imagine, this was HUGE for us. And even though, we did not win the first place it was without any doubt the greatest award we have ever received and meant the world to us.
If you are following us on Facebook and Instagram you already know that were many other amazing moments that we experience in 2019. There were also tough ones too, you probably know what I'm talking about right? But overall, I truly believe that we should stay positive, look at the bright side and focus on the good that this life has been providing us.
I feel grateful!
Share some love and let me know in the comments how do you feel about 2019.
And, by the way... I hope to see you on the blog in 2020! ❤
If you want this book, you can get it here! (The book is only available in Latvian).
I hope you enjoyed this post! If you have any questions or anything else to add, let me know in the comments below.
Where to buy:
Nº1 The Body Shop
Nº3 Herbs & Hydro
Nº4 Obelisk Farm
Nº5 Dutch Headshop
Nº7 Obelisk Farm
30 November, Saturday - Christmas book sale (Location: Obelisk Farm)
Obelisk Farm will be holding for the first time a book sale here at the farm. There will be a mix of new and used books available for purchase in several languages including Latvian, Russian, English and more! It will include many fiction and nonfiction books such as literature, art, science fiction, romance, crime, adventure, history, biographies and children's books. Bargain hunters don't despair as we will be selling the books from 0.50 cents to 5 euros ONLY! There will be a couple of free books as well! What's not to like? Be sure to come along and get yourself some quality Christmas presents and also taste our hemp tea free of charge!
➤ All book sale proceeds will be used to supplement our Hemp Museum exhibit.
1 December, Sunday - Adventes tirgus Kalnciema kvartālā (Location: Kalnciema iela)
Christmas markets with free workshops, concerts, book launches, street food, and pop-up shops. In the market, you will find unique, meaningful and useful gifts not found on supermarket shelves. Especially this year, Kalnciema Quarter offers its discovery service - an opportunity to take a tour of Latvian farmers and home-producers, as well as apply for a free tour of the quarter.
➤ We will be at this market with all your favorite hemp products!
7-8 December, Saturday and Sunday - Lielais Rīgas Ziemassvētku gadatirgus (Location: Kipsala International Exhibition Centre)
The Big Riga Christmas Fair will make you whirl in the festive mood again this year! The biggest Christmas fair in Riga invites you to get ready for the holidays in one place! You will not have to pay for the entrance, but when you leave, you will bring along a Christmas spirit, delicious food for the festive table and a gift.
➤ Obelisk Farm will be participating in this event both days!
14 December, Saturday - Ziemassvētku tirdziņš LU Botāniskajā dārzā (Location: Latvijas Universitātes Botāniskais dārzs)
Mark it in calendars - The Christmas Market in the Botanical Garden of the University of Latvia will be held on December 14th, from. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visitors to the fair at the Botanical Garden of the University of Latvia, will be able to choose gifts for themselves and their loved ones. Free admission to the Christmas Market (admission to the Greenhouse entrance only).
➤ Another chance to meet us at this awesome Christmas market!
15 December, Sunday - Daugavas prospekta dāvanu tirdziņš (Location: Labumu bode Ikšķile)
We will be at this market with all our hemp products. More information about this event, here.
20 December, Friday - Ziemassvētku sajūtu tirdziņš (Location: Saieta laukums, Madona)
The fair includes a Christmas market, Christmas concert programs featuring world-famous tunes, Latvian traditional songs, theatrical performances, creative workshops, and Santa's house. What better way to celebrate and get to know us and our hemp products? Let's meet in Madona!
21-22 December, Saturday and Sunday - Lielais Ziemassvētku gadatirgus Rīgā (Location: Starptautiskais izstāžu centrs Ķīpsala BT1)
Another awesome Christmas fair that we will be participating in! More information about this event, here.
Feeling inspired? Hopefully, this event list will make you step in the festive mood and maybe, just maybe we will be meeting you soon? Let us know in the comments if you are planning to go to any of these events or any other tip you may have for this holiday season.
Love ❤ Débora
Next Thursday, 31st October many will celebrate Halloween (us included!). In addition to the masks and clothes, the house decorations, desserts cannot be left out! In the spirit of this spooky season, today we are sharing this terrifying hemp seed cookies recipe that might bring you a sweet but healthy Halloween 🎃🍪
PREP TIME: 20 mins
TOTAL TIME: 20 mins
1 egg (or no egg)
170 gr. chocolate chips
100 gr. butter or pure vegetable margarine
100 gr. hemp seeds
200 gr. cane sugar
½ tsp soda
¼ tsp salt
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp flour
1. Mix sugar and melted butter in one bowl until it turns light
2. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat well
3. In a separate bowl, put a tablespoon of flour, salt, soda, and hemp seeds. Mix thoroughly
4. Add the content of the first bowl to the second and add the chocolate chips.
5. Mix thoroughly
6. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
7. Use your hand to form flat cookies of any spooky shape you desire using the mixture and spread on a baking sheet
8. Put the baking sheet with cookies into the preheated oven
9. Bake for 5 minutes on each side
This is a simple but creative recipe that you can prepare in a very short time and with very few ingredients. If you try this recipe, let us know! We wish you a happy Halloween!🎃👻
PREP TIME: 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 10 mins
YIELD: 16 brownies
350 gr. оf ѕоft ріttеd dаtеѕ
140 gr. оf hеmр ѕееdѕ
110 gr. of rаw wаlnutѕ
35 gr. оf rаw сасао powder (саn ѕubѕtіtutе rеgulаr cocoa роwdеr)
1/2 tѕр оf ѕеа ѕаlt (optional, fоr flаvоr еnhаnсеmеnt)
1. Add all іngrеdіеntѕ tо a fооd processor аnd mix until іt forms a dоugh.
2. Prеѕѕ thе dоugh into a ѕԛuаrе bаkіng pan lіnеd with раrсhmеnt or wax paper.
3. Place іn thе frееzеr for a соuрlе hоurѕ tо fіrm.
4. Lіft out оf thе pan аnd сut into 16 ѕԛuаrеѕ.
5. Stоrе in the fridge оr freezer.
Sounds yummy? Why not give it a try?
And until tomorrow (Friday, 25th October) enjoy a buy 1 hemp seeds and get 1 hemp protein powder for FREE! On the check-out just add and pay for 1 hemp seeds, we will add after your free hemp protein with your order.
PREP TIME: 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 10 mins
YIELD: 14 Bars
150 gr. оf rаw almonds
350 gr. оf lіghtlу packed ѕоft pitted dates
1 tbѕр оf сіnnаmоn
70 gr. оf рlаіn hemp protein powder
2 tbsp оf mарlе syrup
120 gr. оf аlmоnd butter (оr nut/ѕееd buttеr of сhоісе)
1. Fіrѕt рlасе the nuts in a processor аnd mіx untіl broken dоwn. It’ѕ okay іf there are still ѕоmе large ріесеѕ.
2. Add іn thе dаtеѕ and continue to mіx, ѕtорріng tо press down аѕ nееdеd.
3. Add in the rest оf thе іngrеdіеntѕ and рrосеѕѕ until it fоrmѕ a thісk dоugh.
4. Remove аnd рrеѕѕ іntо a small ѕԛuаrе bаkіng pan lined wіth wax оr раrсhmеnt paper.
5. Plасе іn the frееzеr for 60 mіnutеѕ or the frіdgе fоr a fеw hоurѕ.
6. Remove аnd cut іntо 14 bars.
7. Store іn the frіdgе іn аn аіr-tіght container fоr uр tо 1 wееk or the freezer for uр tо 3 mоnthѕ.
And voilá! Enjoy your delicious and healthy hemp protein bars!
And only until Friday (25th October) buy 1 hemp protein powder and get 1 for FREE! On the check-out just add and pay for 1 hemp protein, we will add after your free hemp protein with your order.
1. The use of hemp fiber for fabric production is nothing new! Super-resistant, its texture is similar to that of linen, and the fiber can be combined with other materials - such as cotton and silk, for example. And yes, right here in Latvia you can get hemp wool blankets from Terra Cannabis.
2. Hemp contains antioxidants, omega 3 and 6 and essential fatty acids, and its seeds are rich in protein, iron, and calcium. It works as a nutritious food supplement, and its oil can be used in the preparation of endless recipes. You can find many hemp food products in our online shop.
3. Hemp for thermal and acoustic insulation of houses and buildings sounds good? A lighter, stronger and environmentally friendly alternative for your home. Hemp shives are available in Latvia through Hemp Time.
4. The use of hemp oil by the cosmetics industry has been around for a long time, and there are numerous product lines - with shampoos, soaps, body and face moisturizers, sun and lip balms, anti-aging creams and so on. In Latvia, you can also get hemp cosmetic products (among others) from Smelly Viking.
5. Last but not least, there is a growing interest in CBD oil for "its potential role in easing symptoms of many common health issues, including anxiety, depression, acne, and heart disease" (read more here). In Latvia, you can also order your CBD oil from Gwee Products.
Did you already know about these products? Do you know any other products made with hemp and available here in Latvia? Be sure to tell us in the comments!
We have been away from our blog for some time but now we are back with this post about our favorite drink - hemp tea! We can introduce hemp tea as one of the healthiest herbal beverages in the world. Hemp tea is made with dried hemp flowers and leaves however several parts of the hemp plant can be used as well such as seeds, and stems. It is a caffeine-free drink with a high amount of nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamins. Also present are cannabinoids (CBD). Although cannabinoids are not water-soluble, it is recommended to add a few spoons of oil or milk which helps to dissolve cannabinoids and maximize its health benefits. (You can check here if CBD is legal in your country)
And, now let's go through the steps on how you can make hemp tea at home!
1. Add a teaspoon of hemp tea
2. Add a half spoon of coconut oil or any other fat as per your preference
3. Pour some hot water to the cup
4. Brew it for at least 5 minutes until you get the desired strength
5. Remove the leaves using a strainer
6. Can add sugar or lemon according to the preference. If not can taste it without adding
anything. And voilá! Enjoy everything that hemp tea has to offer!
Btw, in this video from our friends at Harmony you can see the preparation process step by step.
We believe hemp tea offers many health benefits and that's why we love it! If you are looking to get your own hemp tea you can get it here.
We would like to thank you for following our blog and hope to see you on our next blog post.
The event was meant to start at 11:00 however, we were only able to set up everything around 11:30. But visitors were very patient :) At the door, there was team Obelisk: Gabriela, Fredis, and Alice that were welcoming all visitors.
More than 8 companies join us and present their wonderful hemp products to the public.
In the hemp museum, many speakers had the chance to deliver a speech in front of an awesome audience! Check out this video of one of these talks.
Visitors of the hemp market also had the opportunity to vote for the best hemp company, best products, and best service. Congratulations to Lapka Hemp, Smelly Viking and ''Zariņi''.
A great event with amazing people! Showing the true power of Cannaboration :)
If you want to continue updated on the events we have here at the farm, follow us on Instagram!
01.05.2019 - Hemp museum opening
Entrance is free of charge.
01.05.2019 - Hemp foods workshop
If you would like to take part in this workshop, you can book your place here
06.07.2019 - Hemp market
You can get your tickets here
27-28.07.2019 - Hemp building course
Limited places available, so hurry up! Book your place today
We are only officially open for tours, workshops, tastings, and courses from 1st of May but you can already book your experience with us. To avoid any disappointment we would like to invite you to book your visit in advance.
Big hug from Obelisk Farm Family 🖤
We have been contacted and visited by many families that wish to move to the countryside and find a way to replenish the incomes of their families. Just like us, they believe in the endless possibilities of the hemp plant and seem convinced about the huge potential of hemp cultivation. Their most common question is: can hemp help us? As a family that has been growing hemp for the past 3 years, we can say that being a family farm especially in a remote area is not easy. Mainly, because of the significant limitations such as basic infrastructures, financing and more. However, the opportunities derived from hemp are endless. And we believe that there are several ways in which hemp can help save a family farm.
- Without the issues of legality getting in the way, the local communities and the economy can flourish. Hemp has the potential to put power back into the hands of the people and help us to create a sustainable life for everyone. Moreover, cultivating hemp as a cash crop will help reshape our lives and build a self-sufficient, sustainable way of life for our families.
- Hemp can help farmers and farm business helping us earn a comfortable living. There are lots of financial toll on farmers and some also suffer from mental health and depression. These often arise from the increase of production cost, drought and falling prices of commodities and also factors beyond our control.
- Although hemp responds better to a well-drained, loamy soil with a pH (acidity) above 6.0 and a neutral to slightly alkaline (pH 7.0 – 7.5) is preferred, hemp can thrive in most environments. If you would like to know more about the biggest obstacles when growing hemp, you should check this article from the Modern Farmer. Additionally, hemp can grow without the use of pesticides or herbicides.
- Food, clothing, housing, the basic necessities to live, hemp can provide this and more... cosmetics, fuel, paint, glue, plastic, paper and other applications. The use of hemp can make your life and your family live more ecological and sustainable.
If this is a topic you are researching, we can recommend the following book and videos:
"How cannabis farming allows family farms in California to feed their community". The story of a family growing hemp and producing products for themselves and their community.
"Cannabis and Family Agriculture" (Sorry, Portuguese language only.) This is an interview with the professor at the Center for Advanced Multidisciplinary Studies at UnB, the agronomist João Luis Homem.
As an effort to educate individuals and boost the general public awareness about hemp the theme of the poster is: Grow hemp! We are looking for creative, critical thought and inspiring posters that can address the following topics:
The call is open to artists of any age, nationality, and discipline.
All participant's posters will be displayed at the Hemp School gallery and participants will receive a hemp gift from Obelisk Farm.
The deadline for submitting your poster is 20th April 2019.
#1 - Hemp hand cream by The Body Shop
#2 - Hemp soap by Herbs&Hydro
#3 - Hemp seed oil by Hempus
#4 - Hemp chocolate (white, black, milk) by Hempoint
#5 - Hemp beer by CanaPuglia
#6 - Hemp sneakers by Bohempia
#7 - Hemp scarf by Hoodlamb
#8 - Hemp backpack by Samparka
#9 - Hemp notebook by Canapacruda
#10 - Hempcrete magnet by Obelisk Farm
What makes a perfect Valentine's day gift?
We think that a present for any special occasion should be creative, useful and emotional. Above all, it should be a gift that can melt the heart of your love without contributing to the melting of the Arctic glaciers. Nothing better than choosing a gift that is made by one of the most environmentally friendly plants in the world - HEMP!
What is hempcrete?
Hempcrete is a natural building material made with hurds (the inner woody core of hemp) and mixed with lime. The hurds works well as a building material because they are lightweight and at the same time sturdy, offering excellent thermal regulation and moisture control. Using hempcrete in construction is not a new idea, although it has recently been rediscovered and its use is spreading all over the world.
How is hempcrete used?
Hemp concrete is an efficient, non-toxic, mold-resistant material used as thermal insulation to make floors, ceilings, and walls. It is very common for hempcrete to be combined with other materials. The system is simple: You choose two fixed pillars (of wood, masonry or another type of structure). Then these two points are connected by two plywood, one on each side, leaving a gap between them. This empty space is then filled with the mixture. Soon the compensated ones are removed exposing the ready wall!
Being a naturally breathable material, hempcrete is also often used to make floors or insulation on roofs.
What are the benefits of hempcrete?
Hempcrete has many advantages over conventional building materials. Here are some of its many benefits:
Resistant to pests
Excellent moisture control
Learn more about hempcrete
Hempcrete offers versatility and sustainability. You can learn here at the farm how to build with hemp, join us on 27-28th July for our hemp building course.
The University on their end will develop all the lab tests necessary for this product be approved for human consumption. We all want to make sure hemp straws do not rot or get mold. They also gave us a great idea which is to develop hemp sticks for sushi! This sounds awesome! Making a hemp straw that can be converted in chopsticks is such an amazing idea!
We will keep you updated on the progress of these products. Fingers crossed 🤞
1. Our Hemp bars received the award for the best plant-based product in Riga Food 2018. It was people's vote so this gives us a lot of happiness and motivation to keep going! Our award will give us the chance to travel to Germany in January and take part in the Green Week 2019! We will keep you posted!
2. Because of Hemp, we have traveled this year to Austria, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, and Belgium.
3. We have participated in 3 of the most amazing and interesting hemp events of Hemp in Europe, namely: 8th International Hemp Building Symposium, Hemp2020: Entrepreneurship & Investing and the International Cannabis Policy Conference.
4. This year we have been visited by over 1000 people that took part in tours, tastings, workshops, and courses at the farm. Next year we will only be open on the weekends, so if you want to guarantee your activity at the farm, you should book with us in advance.
5. We have successfully delivered another Hemp Building Course at the farm. This year we had Kerth from HempToday joining us. Next year the Hemp Building Course is already available for booking, take advantage of the early bird price! Come and learn how to build with Hemp in Latvia!
6. We have reached a total amount of 550 euros from online and offline donations for our Hemp Museum. If you would like to support us, our crowdfunding campaign is still ON!
7. We have developed over 8 different hemp products and we hope next year we will be producing way more! Check out our online shop to see what we have done so far.
8. Last but not least, after 10 years together we decided to finally get married this year! We enjoyed being surrounded by our closest friends and family ❤
What an amazing year we had! We truly hope you will continue to follow us in this great adventure we call life and perhaps we will meet at Obelisk Farm in 2019! Visit us!